Sunday, March 30, 2008

Time Inside

Good evening, I have bad news I am in Jail - again!
Apologies for the long delaying in writing this blog but as you will read I've been quite busy recently. I managed to get to Christchurch by bus but got no further!

I arrived back at Jailhouse Accommodation I settled back into life in Christchurch.
During the few days in Jail I found out the hostel needed a new Night Manager as the existing person had to leave suddenly. I was interested in the role and so threw my name into the hat for the job.
I spoke to the management team and started a trial. The trial period involved a few hard days cleaning and learning about the Jailhouse. Once this had been completed I then shadowed the reception team for around 7 days to learn the ropes before taking over my first night shift alone.

The role is working 5 nights a week in exchange for a private room. Working hours are 18:00 - 22:00 and 08:00 - 09:00 while being on call between 22:00 - 08:00.
I have agreed to stay here for a few months and so expect to be in Christchurch til at least July 2008. This means that my overall plans have changed a little with my departure to Australia and the Pacific Islands being delayed slightly.

As I am staying for a few months I took the decision to apply for a Working Holiday Visa to allow me to get a part time job (during the day) to earn some pocket money. This sounds simple enough but as I'm already in NZ it is a complex task. I've had to pay for the visa application and have a thorough medical check (costing £140) before the application can be approved. I'm still waiting and expect that the decision may take around another 2-3 weeks. I have applied for a IRD number and opened a NZ bank account - so I've been quite busy really!

The hostel staff is a real international mix with many European nations represented. There is a good atmosphere and always something to do. I went to see a Super 14's Rugby Match as the Canterbury Crusaders were playing at home. The match was very entertaining if not a little one sided.
I have enjoyed going to see Jack Johnson in concert, his voice was amazing and much better live than on a CD. I have been to the beach, spent a lot of time in the beautiful botanic gardens and been running regularly round the parks.

The hostel has good Internet, free DVD's, Sky TV (plenty of British sport being watched!) and even a Cinema room, so little chance of getting bored. The facilities combined with the constantly changing guests makes for a fun and interesting time.

My blogs may now become slightly less interesting (as if they could!) but I will aim to write every couple of weeks to update you with the latest goings on and job update.

No comments: