Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Awesome times in Auckland

Does anyone want to lend/donate me some money?
After a few days spent in Auckland the price change has been massive! The hostel I’ve been staying in is very nice and well equipped (very professional in NZ) but costing £10 a night vs. £5 in South America makes a noticeable difference. All my budging has suddenly changed and the costs are similar to those in a city in the UK.

I must also confess that I have been burning the candle at both ends a bit and after my month not drinking I’m back with vengeance, not to mention memory loss and bad hangovers!

On Sunday 3rd in the afternoon me and one of my Irish friends decided at the last minute to go on an Americas Cup Sailing experience. The yacht was a retired Americas Cup vessel that was used by the Japanese Nikon team in the 1990’s. We rushed to the harbour and met up with the crew who gave us a full briefing and made clear that this experience was not a pleasure cruise. There were approx 4 crew and 10 guests. The sailing was fantastic , we all got hands on experience and tired limbs. The highlight was taking a turn at the wheel as skipper and navigating through the Auckland Bridge; I managed to get the yacht up to a speed of 10 knots
and tacked a few times with all hands on deck.

Following the sailing we went to an Irish bar to have an afternoon drink with the crew just next to the harbour in a smartly refurbished area called the Viaduct. We ended up having a few drinks more than anticipated and enjoyed drinking with the crew till I cannot remember. The last recollection I have was of singing very loudly to the live music while drinking copious amounts of Rum and Coke.
I awoke the next morning in my own bed (which was a good thing) and suddenly remembered that we had paid the previous day to do the SkyJump off the SkyTower.

The SkyJump is a 192m jump (connected to wire) with controlled decent to the ground below. To say that the hangover didn’t help me feel enthused about the jump ahead would be an understatement.
One the ledge of the leap I was nervous but the jump itself was over very quickly. I enjoyed it so much that I asked if I could have another go. As they weren’t busy I was allowed me a second jump and jumped off backwards to enhance the thrill. After the adrenaline kick dissipated the hangover was awoken. Relaxed for the rest of the day and went to the cinema and watched Sweeny Todd.

Auckland was hosting an International Buskers Festival during my visit and I took time to watch a few of the shows, very entertaining and eclectic mix of entertainment. Watching the Superbowl in a busy bar was also a great experience, being able to view the spectacle during the day and with passionate fans added to it. As one of the greatest upsets and with a thrilling climax it was a good way to spend a few hours.

On the Tuesday evening I made my way to Eden Park to watch the NZ vs. England Twenty20 Cricket match. The ground was buzzing and the match was really exciting, England winning was a bonus. Afterwards headed back to the Irish Bar at the Viaduct for a few Rum & Cokes with the yacht crew. At about midnight a group of lads turned up, on closer inspection it transpired that it was the majority of the victorious English cricket team. They were all out celebrating the victory and having a few beers. I was lucky enough to have a decent chat with Paul Collingwood, Ian Bell, Phil Mustard, and Ali Cooke.

The following day I again woke up with a sore head (again!) and struggled to pack for my afternoon flight to Christchurch. Leaving Auckland with a heavy heart I enjoyed my time in this vibrant small city. It has plenty to offer and the weather was certainly nice, I look forward to returning for my flight to Australia in the next few months.

Next stop Christchurch and a spell of time inside....

No comments: