Sunday, February 24, 2008

Change in Christchurch

Good afternoon ladies and gentleman I have now left Christchurch for the second time and with very different plans from last time! I have headed north towards the Marlborough wine region and a volunteer job on a farm.


When I left Dunedin the journey north was uneventful except for visiting the Moreki boulders again for the second time. We stopped in a small town for lunch and had the typical Kiwi lunch of pie. We arrived in Christchurch late in the day and checked into our motel/hostel. The weather was stunning and so we headed off to the Arts Centre and found a lovely bar to enjoy a drink in the park.


Despite already being to Christchurch I once again enjoyed the sights and sounds visiting the Art gallery, Botanic Gardens and Cricket ground.

Sadly when I watched the One Day International cricket match between NZ and England the hosts was victorious leaving the locals very happy.


I booked myself on a sunrise balloon flight from Christchurch but sadly the weather had other plans and led to the flight being cancelled (after a 04:00 phone call to check) for both days I booked. I managed to sell most of my camping possessions to Cash Convertors, for those pieces that they did not want the Salvation Army were very willing recipients.


I then took time to consider what I wanted to do next and joined Helpx, a company who connect hosts and helpers for volunteer work. I searched through the network and contacted many hosts. I found a suitable position (general farm work) near Blenheim and agreed that I would start the following day.


Therefore after a final journey north with Claire, Helen and Trevor (including a nice lunch in Kaikora) I arrived at Birchmore Farm. I am now settling into the rural life and will soon write again about all my exciting experiences on the farm.

No comments: